This overview of the Osprey Aether AG 85 backpacks is the largest backpack in the new Aether AG series, designed for multi-day rucksacks and heavy transport. The rear system of this package is a combination of the award-winning anti-gravity system and the custom-made IsoForm belt.
Osprey AG 85 Front view.
AG suspension system.
- Advanced suspension system.
- Adjustable body height.
- Foldable hip and waistband.
- Interchangeable thigh strap and belt.
- Attachment points for Osprey Daylite and Osprey Daylite Plus.
- The top cover turns into a fully functional daytime bag (but not for all bags, see below).
- Can be used without lid.
- Three sizes to choose from.
- Integrated rain cover (not with all packaging, see details below).
Significant changes to the new model
Actually, there’s two of them:
- Fully recycled tape.
- Fully recycled backpack, but see below for more details
The AG 85 ether is available in three sizes/volumes, 82, 85 and 88 litres in the version. So you can select it at the time of purchase. This is a top package with a removable lid, but has an extra J-shaped access point with a zipper at the front.
The AG lock is the most important feature, so I’ll say a few words about it first. You can compare it with the previous version I described in my previous note.
New suspension AG
The housing frame is a LightWire construction of an all-round aluminium alloy and the wiring harness is adjustable to. Place your hand between the back wall and the harness and release the hook and loop of the support. Then set the turnstile to the desired position and press firmly to reactivate the Velcro. The indicators will guide you, see figure :
Indicators for adjustable straps.
ISOFORM 5 CM lap belt with custom depth tensile strength, and interchangeable so that you can choose the most suitable model at the time of purchase, which will naturally shape your body heat perfectly. The same applies to the suspension of the ISOFORM 5 AG grid, which is therefore interchangeable and of which you can choose the size yourself.
But you can speed it up if you want. Good shops with street furniture usually have an osprey oven. Here you can see how the furnace of the osprey works:
Attachment points for OspreyDilit and Dilit Plus kits
At the front of the package there are two vertical valves with horizontal bands, this is part of the double front compression system with StraightJacket compression. So, if you loosen it, you’ll see that there are 4 attachment loops under the valves.
Here you can confirm the Osprey Daylite package and the Daylite Plus package, which are designed for this purpose. When the Daylite or Daylite Plus package is attached, you can additionally secure it with the two horizontal wings and the above mentioned straps.
Top cover, foldable to backpack
Unlike the previous version of Aether, where you have a detachable cover that serves as a lumbar bag for short journeys, the new version has a fully equipped backpack. This is the name of the DayLid backpack with a capacity of 16 litres.
The DayLid package contains the following functions:
- Shoulder straps with mesh fabric and rimless packaging.
- Double access to the main compartment.
- Adjustable chest strap .
- In addition to the main compartment, there is also a zipped compartment.
- There is even an external hydration sleeve with a suspension for the water bubble.
- At the bottom is a pendulum buckle, which is linked to an elastic band from above and attached to an ice axe.
- 4 fastening hinges.
The chest strap of the DayLid-Tutu can be attached in three different positions, for this you have loops on both shoulder straps. This means that the hinges, which are not currently used for the chest strap, can be used to secure the equipment.
Because this package is the lid itself, the hinges that are normally on top of the lid are now on the front of this backpack, so of course you have 4 extra attachment points.
When the lid is removed, you have an extra valve with loops to close the large container tightly. So it looks like a normal packet that is loaded from above, see the image below.
DayLid backpack, as well as basic bags without cover with integrated flap.
Side view of the Aether AG 85 with side belt construction.
Other characteristics of the men’s kit Aether AG 85
There is a lower compartment with a normal zippered entrance. The partition wall between the main compartment and the lower part can be separated.
The organization of the pockets is standard: double side mesh pockets, double zippered belt pockets, the two pockets mentioned on the lid, and you have a large mesh pocket on the front. Okay, just seven bags.
Buckles and straps
Already mentioned are 4 hinges to be attached to the lid, two large hinges to be attached at the bottom and two hinges with a rubber band at the top to attach two ice axes.
The Stow-on the-Go tracking system is available. It is useful if you need to have your hands free during the flight to take a picture, to eat and drink, or if you are having contractions.
Double compression tires are available on the sides and under the tires with the function InsideOut. see above figure. This allows them to be guided inwards (to compress the bag if it is not full to ensure stability) or over the side mesh pockets (to secure items inside).
StraightJacket: compression straps attached at the front on the sides.
Detachable dual compression tires are located at the bottom. At the front are the aforementioned StraightJacket compression straps and two vertical valves. Note that these compression straps can be routed to all sides of the package; for this purpose there are two extra loops on the right side of the package. You’ll use it when you don’t have so much in the package, so you can close it neatly. The result may not look good, as in the picture above, but it is effective.
I have some doubts about the ventilation and I mentioned it in my text about the Aether 60 AG so look there. I’m also not sure if the net in the lumbar part of the back is the best option for a package of this size, see picture below. But this is a new design, and only time will tell how it works in real life.
Lumbar area only with mesh bridge, without real filling.
Comparison with competitors
Here is an Aether AG 85 compared to two other giant packages of the same size. I only show a few basic functions, but these packages are full of them, so click on the links for more information, it can help you to make informed decisions:
- Paul. For men.
- Frame: peripheral wire.
- Destination: Walking, walking, traveling.
- Three sizes:
– S: 82 litres (5004 cubic inches).
– M: 85 litres (5187 cubic centimetres).
– L: 88 litres (5370 cubic inches).
- Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight! Weight!
– S: 2.41 kg (5.32 lbs).
– M: 2.44 kg (5.37 lbs).
– L: 2.46 kg (5.42 lbs).
- Load capacity: up to 27 kg.
- The hull’s a match:
– S: 41 to 48 cm (16 to 19 inches).
– M: 18 – 21 inch (46 – 53 cm).
– L: 20 – 23 inch (51 – 58 cm).
- Choice of IsoForm belt size :
– S: 29 – 31 inches (74 – 79 cm).
– M: 30 – 34 inch (76 – 86 cm).
– L: 33 to 37 inches (84 to 94 cm).
- Maximum packaging dimensions (H x W x D): 34 x 17 x 15 inches (86 x 43 x 38 cm).
– That’s the most important thing: Nylon dobby 210D.
– The accent: 210D Shadow box made of high quality nylon.
– Downstairs: 500D nylon fabric.
- Adjustable hull.
- Including the rain cover.
- The lid turns into a backpack.
- Access: up, down, forward.
- Sleeping bag compartment with removable partition.
- Stretch mesh front pocket.
- Adjustable chest strap with emergency whistle.
- Built-in FlapJacket for use when removing the lid.
- Double pockets on hip belt with zipper.
- Double compression straps at the top.
- Straight jacket at the front.
- Mesh pockets with double sided mesh access and compression straps inside and out.
- The Stow-on-the-Go system for mounting the marking bars.
- Double hinges for ice tools with snap hooks.
- Removable straps for sleeping places.
- External tank socket**.
- Colors: 3, see pictures.
- The warranty: The all-powerful osprey is at work here.
* Not in the US version, see below
** See below.
There is some confusion in the description of this package and the whole series. Basic questions :
- Protection against rain
- Hydration cuff.
I have spoken about it extensively in my text about the Osprey Aether AG 60 so take a look. This should be emphasised here.
- The Rain case applies to the EU market but not to the US market. I heard it from Congressman Osprey.
- The backpack on the American market is a new version, the DayLid backpack. On the EU market the packaging of Aether AG is accompanied by an old version of the lid, which is transformed into the well-known lumbar packaging. It’s the osprey’s rep again.
- Aether AG and Ariel AG series are supplied with an inner hose. But this shell is never mentioned in the official description of the package. However, there is space behind the belt, which is called an outer shell in the description. However, this cover has no hook or loop to secure the bladder. In this way, the loop of the inner sleeve must be pulled through the opening of the water pipe to attach the sleeve from the outside. But if you do, you won’t be properly ventilated.
Here is a photo I received from the above mentioned representative of the Osprey, which shows the inner loop of the shell used for the outer jacket:
The so-called outer coupling with a loop of the inner coupling.
View of the main compartment with the inner cover.
I warned them that the inside of the cover was not mentioned in the description or promotion. Hopefully they can change these things. At the time of writing this article, I made sure there was nothing I could do about it.
It’s an addition in May 2017, they changed the promotional video and released it on the 26th. Mai, so here’s the problem:
Differences between ether AG 60, AG 70 and AG 85
There are clear differences in volume and physical size. But here’s more:
- The larger AG 85 package is equipped with three horizontal front belts, the other two with two belts.
- The AG 85 and AG 70 have a J-shaped zipper on the front and are therefore identical to the previous version of these packages.
- The smaller AG 60 has a vertical side entry with a zipper.
- AG 85 and AG 60 are available in three sizes: S, M and L. The AG 70 packaging is available in four sizes: S, M, L, XL.
As far as I know, there’s no difference anymore. Let me know if you notice anything.
Conclusion, evaluation, advantages and disadvantages
In summary I can say that the Osprey Aether AG 85 backpack has a very complex design and has many features. The interchangeable lid is probably the main attraction of this tutu. But it is clear that the benefits of this option are currently reserved for the US market only. I have seen that some people are disappointed with what they find in EU stores. It’s hard to understand why the Osprey did it.
I’m worried about the ventilation and the lumbar support. Only time will tell how this project will work. I had the feeling they didn’t know what to do with the space behind the withers and I decided to call it the outer shell, forgetting the real inner shell that still exists.
But it’s a nice package, I’m sure. Is it the best instrument on the market? I think it’s too soon to tell. There are many large packages in this size class, which are described here on the website. But I included them in the list of the best expeditions.
Look at my assessment of this package:
Men’s backpacks Osprey Ether AG 85
Characteristics and premiums
- It’s a great suspension.
- A very modern design.
- Bonus backpack.
- Three access points.
- Lots of attachments.
- No side pockets with zippers.
- Oh, my darling.
Buy at Amazon
Buy at Fischadler
Buy at REI
If this size does not fit please refer to the models Aether AG 60 and Aether AG 70 described on the website. Please note: the Ariel AG 55 and Ariel AG 65 packages are specially designed for women.
How would you compare the Aether AG series with the Atmos AG series? You can read it in my other message.
Thank you for reading it. I hope this text has been useful to you. If this is the case, share it with others. If you have a question or comment, please use the comment field below. Have a nice day.
osprey aether 85 sale,osprey aether 85 ag pack
Disclosure: We are a professional review company & our reviews are not biased towards any of the products we review. We test each product thoroughly and give marks to only the very best that is given by our author. We are very independently owned & the opinions expressed here are our own. However, if you purchase anything after clicking the links present in the articles then we get some commissions for it which help maintaining the websites expenses like servers, security etc.